August 01, 2009

Note: Scones Can Be Made Without Eggs

Time for a Food Note! Yum!

The story starts with my promising BF blueberry scones for Saturday morning breakfast. He's been so cute lately that he deserved a treat!

[Side note: I love breakfast foods and I love baking. Sometimes I make food that I don't even eat and BF end up eating most of it. I simply love the whole creation process.]

At 7:30AM, as I prepare the ingredients, I realized that I had no eggs left. And the recipe required 2 eggs. After contemplating running to Walmart (they sell eggs, they open at 8AM, and it's the closest store to my place! How lucky am I?), I wondered if there existed a recipe that required zero egg.

And yes, it does exist!



Scottish Oatmeal Scones (I modified the recipe... Less fat!)

1 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Margarine
1 Cup Oats
2/3 Cup Frozen blueberries (or dried raisins, cranberries)
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tbsp Melted Butter for glazing

Preheat oven @ 375F
Mix together Flour + Sugar + Baking Powder + Salt
Using a handheld pastry mixer, cut in the margarine until mixture is crumbly.
Add oats and blueberries, mix
Add milk, mixing until moist
Knead until dough holds
Flatten to form a 7 inch circle and brush melted margarine on top
Cute into 6 pie-shaped wedges
Bake for 18 mins.

Best of all, scones are low in fat and sugar. The Brits have been savouring these baked goods for decades. So go ahead and lift your little finger and have them with coffee or tea. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay! Thanks for leaving a comment! You just made my day! xox